Sunday, August 25, 2013

Disclaimer: I *may* be a crazy cat lady...

Many if not most gamers, be they of XBox, PS3, or PC persuasion, have at least one MMORPG they visit from time to time. There are whole worlds to choose from, such as fantasy realms like World of Warcraft (petooie!), Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest, Runescape, etc, and more Sci-Fi/ tech worlds, like EVE Online or Champions Online.

At one time I was a obsessive Runescape fan, playing damn near every day. After I got my first 99 in a skill, cooking, I sort of let up a bit. Then I plain quit. It's a habit I've picked up in gaming, as you've seen in my Skyrim posts: When I complete something, even in a totally open world environment, I tend to lose interest. I'm stuck with an overwhelming sense of 'what now?' and as a gamer, I hate it. No credits role. No ending speeches about how the world is saved/ doomed are given. It's just...over. The sun rises on the next day, as it did the day before, and the day before that. Now, don't get me wrong. I still adore these games. This is merely a tick I have developed as I've played over the years. 

That said, After a roughly three month hiatus, I am back playing Guildwars 2, my current MMORPG, and all I can think is "why haven't I been playing this?!" In this land I am Humlah, a Norn Guardian, known to her guild as The Big Bitch, or as I call her 'No You Stupid Idiot I Didn't Say To Do That!'. 

Much to my girly delight, in honor of the upcoming one year anniversary of the game's release many of the once 'limited time only' special items are back on the trading post, including the little white kitten I missed a few months ago!!! 400 gems later and I am now the proud owner of Marshmallow, my adorable new sidekick, with his fluffy white fur and his widdle red bow.....*shakes head* sorry, got kinda lost there...

With Marshmallow by my side I jumped over to the Wayfarer Foothills, a low level Norn map where I can easily complete my daily achievements, a set group of goals ranging from killing a certain number of enemies to picking so many carrots (so many carrots...). I managed to finish yesterday's dailies before the reset time of 7pm, just in time to start up today's grouping. This one took me a bit more time, as without an imminent time limit I decided to focus on my monthly achievements instead, figuring the daily would get done in the process.

Ah monthlies. How you torment me so. How in the hell am I supposed to get 500 things to salvage in a
month without resorting to cannibalizing my gear? By putting myself through pain, that's how. In the Queensdale map, a low level Human area, there are a group of events that trigger one after the other. Following the group I jumped from battle to battle, with virtually no down time in between, least I be left behind. Kill a thing, hit a waypoint, run to next thing, and kill it. Rinse and repeat roughly 20 times, and you get the picture. Lag a little behind and you arrive just in time to watch the big beasty's last breath. 

All was worth it, as by post's writing I have completed three of four monthly to-dos, with only salvage remaining. While needing about 100 more things to tear apart seems like alot, I managed to get in 200 or so today alone, thanks in HUGE part to the tiny ant-man Elpizo (my friend Matt).

So why, you might be asking (or not, depending on how much you care), would I go through all of this? So much work, but for what? I'm already level 80, the highest level in the game, and I already have a good set of armor. What's my drive? It's simple: His name is Chauncey von Snuffles III. At 75 Laurels (a type of in-game currency, gained by completing dailies and monthlies) Chauncey is only the most fanciest cat ever to rock a bowler hat. And a bowtie. Cause bowties are cool.

I am at most a week and a half from attaining Mr. von Snuffles, a week and a half too long!! Marshmallow is in need of a role model. I must return to my work....

No comments:

Post a Comment