Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year, New Stuff

2014 is here, and with it a slew of resolutions...Ones we'll keep and others we've probably already broken. *cough*

My own resolutions range from dreadfully predictable to completely obvious: I don't have alot of imagination in the self improvement sector. But just like last year and the year(s) before that I will follow through this year!

...Right? Right. So whats this mean for Geeky Cat?

One of the most popular resolutions made by people, other than the obvious 'lose 20 pounds' bit, is saving money. So for the month of January I will be playing games that are 100% free to play. That's not to say these games don't have a micro-transaction model (wherein a player can pay real money for various power ups or costume changes), which they very well may. But both acquiring and playing the game must be free. No purchasing cost. No monthly subscriptions. Nothing.

Sounds tough, right? Actually no. Just in my initial research alone I came across enough games to play a new free game for every post for the rest of the year, without touching the same one twice.
Facebook games have come a long way from the dark days of Farmville, and the gaming messenger Steam has a few hundred to choose from.

On a side note, I do have one resolution that's a bit...Well, different. Teaching my cat to not watch TV.

You see, late last year I noticed my cat Duchess' habit of watching screens. TV's, monitors, the lot of them. She doesn't just sit there, she purposely places herself dead center to the screen, watching and following the action as it plays out, cocking her head to the side when something happens.

It-was-hilarious.

So tickled was I that I began showing her bird videos on Youtube. We'd laugh as Duch would run to the computer at the first chirps of the show, sitting as close as she could to the monitor, occasionally checking behind it to find the blackbird that just flew off screen. Soon her sister Precious joined her, sitting shoulder to shoulder as birds and fish danced across the screen.

I personally don't care to watch the same robin sitting in the same nest for 45 minutes. This machine is made for gaming!

Duchess, move. I'm trying to kill a giant spider queen. Precious! Stop pawing at the screen! Yes Tippy, I'll grab your trea- DAMMIT PRECIOUS STOP!

You can see why this can be a problem. I'm sure cat obedience can't be too hard to teach...

...Right?

1 comment:

  1. I have a good few you could pick from...If you would lisen to me on sykpe!

    ReplyDelete