Monday, January 13, 2014

That's No Sheep...

While drinking my morning coffee and perusing facebook today I happened upon a blast from the past: eBaum's World.

Many hours were spent in my high school years using the library's computers to play flash games, either on Yahoo games or eBaum's. It was one of the first (if not the first) of such websites I ever used, so I was excited for my trip down memory lane. But like the boy bands and Myspace of my youth eBaum's World didn't seem to age well, having transformed into something neither recognizable to my inner teenager or appealing to my outer adult.

I remember the site for flash games, but I had a hulluva time finding any games. The homepage is a mash of fail videos and Buzzfeed articles, but nary a game in sight. The categories tab did little to aid my search, instead helpfully pointing me toward 'WTF' 'fail' and 'sports' options, themselves leading to yet more videos and Buzzfeed fodder. It was only after scrolling down some distance that I found a 'popular games' box on the side of the page giving me a whomping four options to chose from (clicking anywhere on the box took me nowhere). Defeated and feeling a bit impatient, I clicked on one of the four options given: Elephant Quest.

As per the game's description:
An evil sheep has stolen your hat. Prepare for an epic adventure with 45 areas to explore in your quest to get it back!
A sheep has stolen my hat? Maybe it was made out of his grandma...

Elephant Quest begins with a rather adorable storybook-style introduction:


Admittedly, that is a pretty sweet hat.


Wait, he's got a hat... It's totally his problem if he wore a stocking hat in summer. Moron. Also, I may not be an expert on ovines, but last I checked they didn't have tusks...


...Or trunks. Either that's a mammoth or it's a study on ugly duckling syndrome, only the ugly duckling grows up to be a dick instead of a swan. Childhood teasing can be rough in any flock.


The game itself is a 2d platformer with a maze like quality. The controls were pretty simple: WASD to move, but they tripped me up pretty badly. Usually the space bar is use for jumping with WASD controls, but space just brings up your skills page. W or the up arrow is jump. Interacting with anything is the S or down arrow. Attacking takes the mouse and...

...Wait...This elephant has a back mounted lazer? Where was this before?

You also need to collect balloons and find items for other elephants while you traverse caves, forests and the like, all culminating in a twist ending that will either warm your heart or boil your blood, depending on how vindictive a person you are.

Play It or Pass It: Play it. It's pretty deep for a simple game, and adorable to boot.

Play it here!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/games/play/81408105/

No comments:

Post a Comment