Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Suck on this, Vampires

I have two words for the ending of The Dawnguard DLC of Skyrim: Armored-Battletrolls (likely three words, but shut up, I want it to be two).

Like the primary story in Skyrim, I did my darnedest to avoid actually completing Dawnguard, which was rough because I really loved Dawnguard's story, therefore I was actually quite close to the end. At the beginning of the DLC (when I first got it) I actually made two separate save files from my usual character: One that sides with the Dawnguard and one that sides with the Volkihar (vampires). Since the split I have done alot outside of the DLC, So I haven't touched my Vampire save file. Maybe I'll do that today, but until then for the purpose of the post I am a member of the Dawnguard itself.

Starting out I already had all the Elder Scrolls I needed, but with my Moth Priest blind I needed a way to
read the damn things. To the Ancestor Glade!!!

You always know that as soon as someone says something, it's going to happen. As soon as I finished reading the scrolls, Serana just HAD to say "Hey, we had better scurry off before the Vampires find us". Lo and behold, not 30 seconds after she said it a gang of vampires and a gargoyle ran up and shanked me in the back. Jerks.

At this point all I needed was Auriel's Bow, the weapon at the forefront of the vampire Harkon's great prophecy...and guess where I had to go to get it! Through Falmer! Know what, Isran? Everlasting night isn't so bad...Even seeing a real life Snow Elf wasn't enough to make up for the annoyance of Falmer (granted I also just didn't like Knight-Paladin Gelebor. I felt that he was a bit bland and that being the only one of his kinda they could have don't more with him, but I digress). So now, here I am, Holy bow in hand, Holy arrows on back. Time to slay me some Vamps.

I return to the Dawnguard to begin gather my forces for the battle ahead. Our numbers were few, but we had the above mentioned freaking armored battletrolls, thus I was confident in victory (also we have me. I'm as cool as like four battletrolls). We meet at Castle Volkihar and begin the attack almost immediately. I loved this fight, actually fighting my way to my prey rather than running up to it (something I loved to do in the Civil War questline). We stormed up the bridge and through the castle doors, demolishing all the denizens within.

Serana and I finally find her father, alone and in his Vampire Lord form, and blah blah blah talking LETS FIGHT! This battle wasn't hard, but I do think it got a little glitchy on me. Harkon teleported around, firing nobody cares what at me, as I stood in the middle and nailed him with the sun arrows. After his health completely emptied, rather than dying he just kind of teleported around, up into the balconies of the room and back down to his blood fountain. He never really did anything but teleport, neither visibly healing or attacking, so I continued to shoot him (I had the Snow Elf bless ALOT of arrows) until he finally dropped dead.

So once again I have saved the day from unmentionable evil. Good girl gloves off, I'm reopening the vampire save (which story wise is mostly identical, but the side missions are more...eviiiiiiiiiiil).

2 comments:

  1. Vampires seem alluring on the surface but then you discover they are all just very shallow people, who never die, are obsessed with the way they look and above all they are gigantic pricks. Plus they have a habit of talking too much, which was Deacon Frost's major downfall in Blade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, these vampires are kinda jerks, but at least they're actual vampires (no 'sparkling' or 'feelings' bs). Glad I sided with the Dawnguard.

    ReplyDelete