Thursday, July 25, 2013

Bye bye, Skyrim

You stop that PS3! You stop that right now!!!

Apparently my system doesn't like Solstheim, seeing as the whole thing starts to lag uncontrollably after about half an hour of running around the island. Whatevs, much like a wagon driver headed across the wild frontier, I'll just have to mercilessly beat my team (or game console, as it were) until it gets me to where I'm going. Miraak isn't going to kill himself (although wouldn't it be delightful if he did?).

Like Dawnguard I had already finished a great deal of the main questline in Dragonborn before I decided to go ahead and show Miraak who the real dragonborn was (hint, it wasn't him). I was halfway through the final quest in the series when my gaming ADHD kicked in and I ran off to massacre more goats on the mainland.

Back in Apocrypha I skip through the first few chapters (I'm inside a book, you see) as I have already completed them, until I get to chapter VI. After obtaining a new shout word and dispatching a few minor Seekers Miraak's pet Sahrotaar decided I looked delicious, flying over to test his theory. Instead I shouted him down, hopped on his back and headed for Miraak.

Unlike flying Odahviing to Alduin's keep, I was actually able to experience the ride on Sahrotaar. Hell, I could actually control him. Flying a dragon is alot like driving a busted up old car down a steep hill: It's going more or less where it pleases, there's no power steering, and the only way to stop it is to crash into something. Thankfully that something happened to be Miraak's doorstep, so yay!
"Who's the real Dragonborn now, bitch!?"

Miraak himself has to be my favorite of the main three boss fights. Aside from taking longer to kill, he was also able to actually inflict damage to me. I do wish, however, that his two dragons Relonikiv and Kruziikrel had actually joined in the battle, rather than watching it until Miraak need to steal their souls (killing them instantly and fully replenishing Miraak's health). I also wish it were me to deliver the final blow to him, although watching Hermaeus Mora jab a giant tentacle through his chest then hold him up in the air was pretty hilarious (I really hated that guy. Jerk kept popping up and stealing the souls of dragons I killed).

That's it, then. Just as Harkon and Alduin before him, Miraak too has now fallen to my blade. He manage to put up an exceptional fight, but dead is dead and I have now (kind of) officially beat Skyrim.

While I would LOVE to continue roaming the Nordic countryside, it is *sigh* time to move on. A friend of mine reminded me that I made this blog to catalog my adventures playing games outside my comfort zone, and Skyrim is as comfortable as a brand new feather pillow that also tells me bed time stories. Tomorrow I shall be returning to my figurative (and sometimes literal) bed of spikes: Dark Souls.

Talos guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment