Monday, February 10, 2014

Love is Golden: A post by Aaron

I'm lazy today! As a result, today's post on the SEGA game Golden Axe is brought to us courtesy of Aaron:

Ah, Golden Axe. How long has it been since I have given you a serious playthrough? Whenever I think of Sega, Golden Axe is one of the first games that pops into my head, along with the obligatory Sonic, Mutant League Sport Series, Comix Zone and Aladdin. Yes, Disney did make a game from a movie that is really good and worth playing. I knew this game to be slightly difficult in the past and I was hoping time would not have made it any easier.

I had beaten the game several times in the past. Golden Axe is not in the same class of difficulty as Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden. Those games are difficult until you learn their patterns. Even after you learn their patterns they can still make you feel like an armless man in a boxing match. But I knew and remembered the patterns for Golden Axe. Now all I have to do is remember how to ride this particular bike... with another person making me do all the peddling. (*GC note: HEY!)

From the beginning I knew this was going to be rough seeing as how I was being battered by Melissa more than the enemies. We had not even passed halfway through the stage and my first life was almost destroyed. What was happening to me? Why was I so gracefully dodging the enemies but unable to evade any strikes from her? It was almost as if her blade had a Dwarven magnet in it.

*GC Note: Let it be known: I got hit by him just as much. Have you ever been headbutted by a horned Dwarf? Didn't think so. 


All was well until we started to encounter the skeletons. Skeletons in Golden Axe have always been the bane of me with this playthrough being no different. At one point I recall trying to get out of a double team by the skeletons when I look over and see Melissa's character just staring at us. I was sitting there being curbstomped and all she could say to me was "I thought you had it under control". Don't worry about me, my possum like defense will lure them into a false sense of security. (*GC Note: I did! I thought he had it!)

This entire experience reminded me why I hate games that had friendly fire. It would turn a fun peaceful game into essentially what every game of Monopoly turns into: alot of yelling, fighting and crying.

Older co-op games sure haven't changed much.

No comments:

Post a Comment